Diamond Headache Inpatient Unit
Saint Joseph Hospital
The Diamond Headache Inpatient Unit
2900 North Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, IL 60657
Headache and Migraine Pain Inpatient Care
For patients with chronic, severe or debilitating head pain, experts from The Diamond Headache Inpatient Unit at Saint Joseph Hospital can help. Along with medication, this successful program offers a series of classes and consultations to help patients learn to minimize the frequency, pain and lifestyle impact of headaches. Adult and child headache and migraine sufferers with complicated medical problems and those using excessive amounts of medication can also benefit from admission.
A typical stay in the headache treatment program is 5-7 days, to achieve the objectives and full benefits of the program. With private rooms, free wireless Internet access and a beautiful view of Lincoln Park and Lake Michigan, the Headache Inpatient Unit helps patients cope with discomfort in healthy, constructive ways. Patients are encouraged to eat meals together and participate in recreational and therapeutic programs. Patients in this homelike environment wear everyday clothes.
A multidisciplinary team of physicians, psychiatrists, nurses, psychologists, pharmacists, dietitians, physical and activity therapists and counselors develop an individualized treatment program for each patient.
When to see a doctor about your headaches:
- Your headaches interfere with your daily activities on a regular basis
- If headache pain and the duration of headaches gets progressively worse
- Your headache is accompanied by weakness or numbness
- If you have a headache along with other symptoms such as vomiting, fever or dizziness
- You experience changes to your vision or hearing along with a headache
- If you've never had headaches before and they come on suddenly
For more information, visit the Diamond Headache Clinic's website.
After patients leave, an ongoing program that best suits each individual's needs for headache management is developed, including medication and follow-up visits.
- Activity Therapy - various programs are offered to enhance the patient's experience including art and music therapy, Tai Chi and yoga, Wii® sports and games, and movie nights.
- Biofeedback Training - a highly successful, non-drug treatment that teaches patients to control bodily functions, such as heart rate, blood pressure and muscle tension to regulate their own headache pain
- Detoxification - medically supervised withdrawal from analgesic medications to lessen or eliminate drug dependence
- Diet Instruction Class- through instruction from a dietician, patients learn the role of food in provoking headaches, as well as proper preparation and storage of food
- Drug Therapy - depending on the diagnosis and previous response to therapy, medications may be prescribed with close monitoring by a physician
- Family Involvement - various programs facilitate understanding between patients and family members to help relieve anger and frustration as well as identify stressors
- Pharmacy Classes - a registered pharmacist discusses the various kinds of drugs used for headache treatment with an explanation of precautions, side effects and the importance of following the physician's directions
- Physical Therapy - Individual sessions include exercise, soft tissue and joint mobilization, fitness education and postural training
- Psychological Intervention - participation in group therapy sessions, and when needed, individual psychological and psychiatric counseling
- Spiritual Services - provided to patients and families of all faiths as needed. A chaplain is on duty 24 hours a day
- Stress Management - a group to help patients learn what stress is and its interrelationship to physical, mental and emotional health. Techniques are provided to give patients the ability to monitor and measure the effect of stress in their lives
- Support Group - a discussion group revolving around themes of headache management and areas of concern to patients
Find a Doctor
To find a doctor, call 877-RES-INFO (877-737-4636) or search online.
Meet Our Staff
Photo above: - Front row, from left: Richard Wenzel, PharmD; Seymour Diamond, M.D., Director and Founder; Betsy Pepper, M.D.; George Nissan, D.O. Back row, from left: Frederick Freitag, D.O., Associate Director; Merle Diamond, M.D., Associate Director; Lori Myers, Biofeedback Therapist; Lawrence Cull, PsyD; Megan Sebanc, R.D.; Mojgan Jones, PA-C; Sandy DeFrancisco, R.N., Research Coordinator; George Urban, M.D., Associate Director; Sylvia Tkalitch, P.T.; Michael Safranek, R.N.